Skip to main content

WAP #7: Assistive Technology

It can be challenging to meet the needs of every student in a class full of diverse learners. While some activities are difficult to adapt and differentiate, there are some resources that simplify the task. One of those resources is Newsela.


Newsela allows teachers to make free accounts (with a paid pro option as well) and make classes on the website to organize students (students must make accounts as well). One convenient factor is that it allows you to import a Google Classroom roster to make organizing classes easier once students have accounts set up.



Once you have a class set up, you can assign articles which have quizzes and writing prompts included. The most unique feature of Newsela is that you can assign each student the same article but at a different reading level. The students do not know who is assigned what, so students won't feel embarrassed when given a separate assignment. Additionally, Newsela itself takes the students scores on quizzes and adapts their reading level as needed.

Newsela has articles of all topics and allows you to search based on subject, grade level, reading level, and more.


You can see student progress, the time they spent reading the article, and more.


There are so many possible uses for Newsela in any classroom. The ability to assign students different readings based on their interests and abilities is extremely important and Newsela makes it incredibly easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly App Practical #2: Students as Tutorial Designers

I always tell my students that I have learned more as a teacher than I ever did as a student. I took Anatomy & Physiology in both high school and college, yet my first year teaching it was when I actually finally began to comprehend the material. Processes that I only memorized while in college suddenly made so much sense as I was talking through it and trying to come up with ways to explain it simply and efficiently. I think that students should try to talk through material as much as possible, and making students tutorial designers is an excellent way to do this in the classroom. Before this topic came up in my grad class, I decided to try out a project in one of my classes in school. I teach a class called Freshman Seminar which is intended to help students in their transition to high school as well as teaching important topics that don't fit into the curricula of core classes. I asked students to identify a problem they (or one of their friends) encountered during their f...